• Update your kit every six months (put a note in your calendar/planner) to make sure that: all food, water, and medication are fresh (not expired), clothing fits, personal documents and credit cards are up to date, and batteries are charged.
• Small toys/games are important too as they will provide some comfort and entertainment during a stressful time.
• Older children can be responsible for their own pack of items/clothes too.
• You can include any other items you feel are necessary for your family’s survival.
• Some items and/or flavors might leak, melt, “flavor” other items, or break open. Dividing groups of items into individual Ziploc bags might help prevent this.
FOOD AND WATER(3 day supply of food & water per person when no refrigeration/cooking is available)
o Protein/Granola Bars
o Trail Mix/Dried Fruit
o Crackers/Cereals (for munching)
o Canned Tuna, Beans, Meat, Vienna Sausages, etc (“pop-top cans might leak/ explode & Jerky can “flavor” other items)
o Canned Juice
o Candy/Gum (Jolly Ranchers can melt & mint gum might “flavor” other items)
o Water (1 Gallon/4 Liters per person)
BEDDING AND CLOTHINGChange of Clothing (short and long sleeve shirts, pants, socks, jackets, etc.)
o Rain Coat/ Poncho
o Blankets and Emergency Heat Blankets
o Cloth Sheet
o Plastic Sheet
o Knit Hat
FUEL AND LIGHTo Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps)
o Extra Batteries
o Water-Proof Matches
o Glow Sticks
o Fire Starter
EQUIPMENTo Can Opener
o Hand Cranked Radio
o Pen & Paper
o Pocket Knife
o Duct Tape
o Fishing Lures & Line
PERSONAL SUPPLIES AND MEDICATIONo First Aid Supplies
o Toiletries (roll of toilet paper- remove center tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock bag, feminine hygiene, folding brush, etc)
o Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer, soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. Warning: Scented soap might “flavor” food items.)
o Medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, children’s medication, etc.)
o Prescription Medication (for 3 days)
PERSONAL DOCUMENTS & MONEY
(Place in a waterproof container)o Bible (Pocket versions are lighter)
o Legal Documents( Birth/Marriage Certificates, Wills, Passports, Contracts)
o Insurance Policies
o Credit Card
o Pre-Paid Phone Cards